tel. +371 6 7332960
mob. +371 29373214
Practicing commercial lawyer and litigator for over 10 years.
Graduated from the Riga Graduate School of Law (LLM) in 2004.
Areas of expertise: litigation, commercial transactions, energy markets
Viesturs leads the litigation practice at Lawerton. His main area of practice is dispute resolution and enforcement. Viesturs advises both corporate and also high net worth individuals whose interests are exposed to arbitrary practices by the authorities or negligence of business partners.
Energy markets is another of Viesturs’ practice areas. His engagement in lobbying the government for gas market liberalization resulted in an affirmative decision by the parliament in winter 2014. After opening of gas market Viesturs has advised several international industry players on market entry issues. Viesturs also is adviser to national regulatory authority on regional gas market issues.
Before joining Lawerton Viesturs gained extensive experience of over 10 years and deep industry knowledge while taking the position of senior counsel and head of the litigation department at major Latvian commercial banks.
- General civil and administrative litigation
- Energy markets, legal arrangements and regulatory issues
- Business of credit institutions, AML
- International trade
- Assistance on acquisition of nonbank consumer lender in Russia.
- Assistance on cross border collection of EUR 17 million debt.
- Legal advice to credit institution on scope and application of intra-day transactions.
- Legal advice to financial institution on application of sanction regime within payment system.
- Legal advice to foreign holding company on liability of foreign legal person in criminal investigation.
- Assistance on reaching settlement agreement between client, leasing company and state agency of guarantees on execution of buy back agreement.
- Representation before the court of cassation and before Court of Justice of the European Union in a deposit guarantee claim brought against the financial regulatory authority.
- 2014 Head of Litigation Practice Group at Lawerton.
- 2012 Founder of the legal team forming Lawerton.
- 2011 Head of the Litigation Department at Latvijas Krājbanka.
- 2005 Senior Legal Counsel at SEB Banka.
- 2003 Associate at law firm "Baltmane un Bitāns"
- 1999 Civil service of the Republic of Latvia.
- Co-author, Attorney’s law in Civil Proceedings, Dienas Bizness, 28 January 2003
- Co-author, The Risk of Antidumping, Dienas Bizness, 20 May 2002